The Dancing Drum Interactive Online School (IOS) is a web-based, integrated arts and music education platform for K-8th grade students. From drumming and music lessons to language arts, social studies and visual art activities, Dancing Drum's Interactive Online School is full of educational content. Colorful graphics and fun animations keep students engaged and entertained while they move through the lessons.
The first curriculum programs that are available through the Interactive Online School are:
- Drumming Up Character
- featuring an arts-based SEL and character education curriculum
Both programs are filled with "Classrooms", and each Classroom contains a variety of interactive lessons and videos. For example, the "Drumming Up Character" curriculum has 10 Classrooms featuring different character traits, like Responsibility, Respect, and Self-Control. Each Classroom contains 8 unique lessons that explore the character theme.
The 8 lessons in each "Drumming Up Character" classroom include:
1) About - Students read along with a video lesson that defines the focus character and describes positive and negative choices that people can make in life.
2) Rhythm - In an interactive video lesson, students learn to play the Character Rhythm with drums, body percussion, and found sounds.
3) Rap - In this colorful, animated video lesson, students learn the words to the Character Rap song, accompanied by upbeat, recorded hip-hop music.
4) Rap + Rhythm - In this interactive video lesson, students learn how to perform the Character Rap together with the Character Rhythm.
5) Profile - Students read along with a lesson that tells the story of an important historical figure who exemplifies the focus character trait.
6) Action - This lesson is designed to inspire students to think more deeply about the meaning of the character and put it into action.
7) Adinkra - Students read and color a PDF worksheet featuring an Adinkra (Ah-DEEN-krah) symbol. Adinkras come from West Africa and communicate the shared values of society.
8) Vocab - Each classroom includes a list of synonyms and antonyms, designed to build student vocabulary and deepen understanding of the trait.
Every classroom also includes PDF downloads!
"Responsibility" and "Self-Control" are first available classrooms, and more classrooms and lessons will be added as the school year progresses.
Now, let’s go over how to get started!
We have designed our Interactive Online School to be as simple as possible to access. To enter the school, teachers and students will receive a webpage link and passcode for the classroom(s) they have chosen. After they click on the webpage link, students are prompted to enter their passcode to open the classroom. Once they're inside, students can easily navigate through the webpage to experience all of the video lessons and activities. Students do not need to register or provide any personal information.
Please note that Dancing Drum's Interactive Online School videos are not hosted on YouTube, Vimeo or any social media platform. Once students enter the webpage, Dancing Drum's Classroom lessons are the only content they will be able to view.
Add a Virtual Performance Assembly with Dancing Drum!
Schools can schedule a Virtual Performance Assembly with Dancing Drum through Google Meet, Zoom or other school-approved web-based app. This online video conference will include Dancing Drum music performances, interactive rhythm experiences and "STAR TIME" opportunities for students!
During STAR TIME, students can perform a drum solo, rap, or dance for the the live audience of their fellow students, teachers, and Dancing Drum! They can also showcase their visual art and share anything else that they learned in their Interactive Online Classroom
. This is a great way to help students feel connected to school community when learning from home.
Please contact us with any questions you have about setting up a program for your school!